June 02, 2006

BoD... (contd.)

Punjab, Nagaland, Goa and most recently Tamil Nadu have BANNED the release of the Da Vinci Code.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5036094.stm

I'm past the stage where shock and disbelief tied my hands behind my back and my words fail me. Perhaps it is time that we accept certain nuances of American Political psychology/culture. Perhaps it is time... we embraced them.

I have never been a fan of American Political Culture (not that India's political characteristics are something to be particularly proud of..) but nonetheless - I find it a little sickening. I almost kneel over every time I hear a politician in the U.S. throw out those stupid phrases - "Liberty..." and "freedom" for all. It is preached in the alleways and yelled from the rooftops "freedom to speak!"... "freedom to express!"... "freedom to think!".... "freedom to invade sovereign states!" ...oops.

These are their civil liberties. Their Bill of Rights. How much of this is actually afforded to them - is questionable. But you know what? It works. These freedoms for the most part ARE afforded to their citizens. People in this country live under the impression (whether falsely or otherwise is irrelevant) that they have these rights but MOST importantly that because they have these rights - other citizens have these rights to. Now bear with me. I'm going to ignore states like Mississippi, Arkansas and Alabama etc. These are like the Bihar's of America. The idea here is that the awareness of your rights AND your fellow citizens rights is what I like about this country. This is a concept that is lacking in India. ME and MYSELF is all that exists.

Our communal riots, though spurred by wicked politicians are still mostly attributable to an emotional and unstable public. Sure, you can blame the politicians. But they are merely taking advantage of an obvious rift. Wholistically, we are bound only by our Patriotism. Even in our metropolitan cities there is a severe lacking in our civic sense. There is a blatant disregard for other citizens and this comes in all forms - whether casteism, stature-ism etc. etc.

Please note that I don't praise the U.S. for much - but this cohesiveness - amongst their citizens (whether misguided, wrong or right - is irrelevant) is something that I do give them credit for. I don't care how they achieved it and I don't care what they use it for... they have it. All else is inconsequential. And it is something I envision for India. I don't see it yet. Maybe because I'm not there. But acts like this aren't very encouraging.

In the end, its disheartening to see Movies, CLEARLY stating that they are fiction, being banned because a religious group claimed that they will riot. This says nothing about a responsible State Government. It speaks volumes, however, about the perceived irresponsibility of the public. It speaks VOLUMES about the Government's lack of faith in their citizens' ability to accept and/or ignore and/or appreciate ANYTHING that hints at a contradiction in their current beliefs. The Brethren of Dolts runs deeper than I had imagined. They are more than a Brotherhood. They are part of the fucking system... (sigh)

Tamil Nadu? - don't they have one of the highest literacy rates? what the fuck is going on? I will ponder on a solution, albeit, I have a strong feeling there is none. Perhaps my acceptance of morons will set an example.

(impossible)

No comments: