Brief Intro: Goa is located on the west coast of India, in the region known as the Konkan, and is bounded by the state of Maharashtra to the north and Karnataka to the east and south. The Arabian Sea bounds it to the west. Panaji is the state's capital, and Vasco-da-Gama (Vasco) its largest town. Portuguese merchants first landed in Goa in the 15th century, but colonised it soon after. The Portuguese colony existed for about 450 years, until it was annexed by India in 1961. Internationally renowned for its beaches, Goa is visited by hundreds of thousands of foreign and domestic tourists each year, and has become one of the most popular holiday destinations for European travellers.
December 30th, 2005: It was around 1 am in the morning. Joy and I had been walking along the beach sharing a bottle of Old Monk, laughing at the locals dancing in their kachhaas . Before we knew it the bottle was done and we were devastatingly sloshed. Now, between Calingut and Bagha, there was a short stretch where there were no Shacks to light the beach. The sky, though littered with stars and a big bright moon, was not enough to provide the light we needed to navigate effectively so we followed the foam of the sea toward Calingut.As we dawdled toward our hopeful destination, in a drunken haze, I noticed a girl walking about 40 feet ahead of us. She was in shorts and had a shawl wrapped around herself, no doubt to shield herself from the increasingly chilly night. I nudged Joy (who was barely able to keep his eyes open) and pointed out this lonesome girl to him. As expected, he turned to me and a familiar mischievous smile came across our faces. With inflated chests and longer strides we moved quickly through the sand. Completely drunk and severely lacking female companionship played an important role in our motivation here.
Before we knew it we had caught up to her. Our girlish, impish giggles were more than a give-away and she turned to face us. Wait a minute. No no. This can't be.
She... was a HE!
That’s right ladies and gentlemen, imagine my surprise when the girl who's face had run through our minds several times over was a dude's ugly mug! Our dreams of a midnight romance with a girl strolling the beaches of goa... smashed. But this wasn't going to damper our spirits! No! We weren't about to pass up the opportunity successfully harass a transvestite. So we spoke. Well, Joy spoke. I was still a little upset at the disappointment.
Joy: Hi!
It: Hiiii…
Joy: So umm…whatcha doin?
It: Just walking on the beach – how about you guys?
Joy: Oh… we’re just looking for some action… whats your name?
It: Oh… I’m Mausam.
Joy: Mausam?... ok… (pointing at me) this is Barsaat and I’m Roshni.
(nice...)
It: (smiles) – nice to meet you.
Suddenly, Joy leaps toward me, hugs me and turns us away from “it”. In a fraction of a second his palm is on my face and he’s kissing the back of his hand. So to poor Mausam it looks like we’re makin’ out on the beach. Meanwhile, I’m like – what the fuck?
Note: It is important to keep in mind that we are severely wasted here.
Joy uses his other hand to grab Mausam and pull “it” closer… and I’m starting to get a little worried here. I’ve got a brown-haired dude on me and a transvestite approaching nearer. Never thought I’d say that. At this point Joy pulls away and starts yelling:
“YOU LOVE MAUSAM! I KNOW IT! YOU DON’T LOVE ME ANYMORE!!!” and then... he’s gone.
Nice… thanks a lot Joy. He races off into the darkness and has vanished in a matter of a few seconds. I’m too bewildered to move at this point until I realize that not only am I standing alone in the dark with this transvestite but “it” has moved uncomfortably close to me. With a nervous laugh I call out in vain “umm… Joy?”… no response. Great.
This is one of those moments that you prepare for with ‘think fast’ games in high-school. I am rarely faced with these situations where am forced to react physically and mentally in a fraction of a second. Mausam reaches and grabs my package. WHAT THE FUCK!?
SMACK!
I slap Mausam as hard as I can and “it” falls to the floor helpless and sobbing. I’m looking around desperately unsure of what to do next. Now Mausam, sniffling, tries to stand up and is on its knees when Joytan comes running back. (sigh)
Cut to Joytan’s view: Aman Bahel standing on the beach with a transvestite in front of him on its knees… precariously close to him. No one else is around.
Joy stopped dead in his tracks – looking at me shocked. “NOOO!” he yells and runs over…
SMACK!.... and Mausam hits the ground... again.
Now Joytan is pushing me “what the fuck are you doing you sick bastard?... what’s wrong with you!?”. Now, I haven’t realized what Joy saw and perceived but I’m taking a lot of pushes here.
Suddenly there are voices in the distance.
Joy and I take one look at each other and we’re off. We ran for about ten minutes as fast as we could and with no clue of direction – completely unable to comprehend what has just transpired. Tired, drunk and confused we fall to the sand and sit idly – staring at the Sea trying to catch our breath. No words are spoken here. No words are appropriate. After about five minutes, we find flashlights in our eyes and two bamboo sticks nudging us from behind. Cops. But that’s an unrelated story for another time.
I think back and I suppose I feel sorry for Mausam. But in the end, having this story to tell made it all worthwhile. Yeah yeah... it'll live.
6 comments:
i remember. this was when we were all in a family get-together thingie at mukul uncle's place with me stealing his whisky with bebo and sharad and for company, while you were doing this...
a dog, but a rather lucky one hahaha.
totally unrelated...but can u tell me abt the PJ concert and tkts in NY that you mentioned in Swami's blog??
Thanks :)))
Yes, Pearl Jam is touring all over the U.S.
Tickets to the New York concerts are going to be hard to come by considering that the concert is two weeks away - nevertheless you can try ebay (for a probably very high premium).
Last I check there were tickets available on Ticketmaster for their Pittsburgh concert. So Ticketmaster and Ebay are your best bets.
I got tickets through the fan club - since I've been a member and I'm entitled to the first round (before ticketmaster etc.) So I have floor seats :-)
swami - utterly confused with your post bro. - what on earth are you talking about...?
So many memories at Mukul uncle's place, and my place and Nadu... well.. your place - hah!
which one is this?
you wouldn't know. you weren't there. you were in goa being felt up. it was i who did the suffering.
anyway...
Craigslist has PJ tickets. Rid-ONK-culous premium
Post a Comment