July 21, 2006

smells like teen spirit...

I ran one of the best jogs of my life today... talk about memory lane. Try and follow me - I'm a bottle of port down

I started on 47th street (thats where I live) and jogged down to 23rd on 2nd Ave. I passed 30th Street and glanced at the Pizza Parlor where I was so used to fetching Sukhi's pizza on the way to Arun's place. Bastard never shared. Of course, never occurred to me to pick some up for myself. I looked at Arun's window and some dude was standing - looking out into the rain. Thats right I was running in the rain - and someone had moved into Arun's apartment. Ten minutes of pizza, tequila w/ice, jams, broken speakers (hah!), pianos, guitars, smoke (of sorts), autumn, winter, summer... flew by. I had already turned on 23rd and was crossing FDR when I snapped out of it. New horizons of old building were in view.

UNIS. My high-school. My first memories of New York painfully stick to that building and as I ran by it, a familar whiff drew the white out of my bones and displayed its sickness on my face. I almost hurled. I ran up the ramp to Waterside and ran by the old Deli where Nandan and I would buy these dirty yellow popcorn bags on the way home from school... they'd always make my hands yellow and sticky. I descended the steps down to what look like the boondocks and finally broke out toward the water. Ahhh!... my favorite few of New York. T'was short-lived as I approached the awkward boathouse where seemingly rich folk dined. A short sprint and I was on the boardwalk along the river running towards the Helicopter pad... my old building was in plain sight now. 401 E. 34th Street. Rivergate Apartments.

I stopped and kneeled down toward the sidewalk (pavement) - and searched for almost 15 minutes for an engraving I made almost 10 years ago when the concrete was still a mushy cement mix. Hahahaha! Its still there - immortality. Hammad was sour about that for a long time.

By the time I got home I was hungover from memories from the last 10 years. A shower, dinner and bottle of port later - Delhi was back in the forefront. Srijan had called from the plane - on his way to the motherland. He had stuck the phone to his iPod, which was playing "Yeh Jo Desh Hai Tera" from 'Swadesh' - its only fitting. As always we're only living - a day we'll soon forget. Thats not true.

What it all boils down to - is friends and family. A "place" itself is meaningless -without the people it makes you think of. You always land in Delhi's remarkable thick green smog, highlighted by the yellow lanterns along the way from IG Airport and into the city. Vasant Vihar. Memories fade to truths - nothing new here. Truths that I still hold on to, that still drive me while I'm here - in New York. Its not explainable.

How do you explain that I have 4 homes in Vasant Vihar itself? Joy's, Arjun's, Adi's and Srijan's. I don't need to call before. I barely need to knock. I just walk in.

I've just had a long conversation about Sex with Malay Uncle. He's on his fourth pack of cigarettes by the end of the conversation. Fidel. The back door to Joy's room and up to his roof where we're spending the night in a 'fort' we built -throwing nails at the road. We have harmonicas for some reason. We suck. We're in Bangalore... Aunty Meera has passed out after telling tales of Joy's friends... and how loyal they are... and I'm dropping Siddharth and his sparkling new wife to the car to send them off. Joy is (ahem) busy. Pattu is asleep on the dining room chair. He's tired after having ripped his vocal chords to "Alive". INSANIYAT!

We're driving in Delhi. We're always driving. I never drive. More truths - always having a seat in Joy, Arjun's, Adi and Srij's car. A silent code - Aman has shotgun and he'll fight you for it.

The sheeshah is on and music is blaring at Srijan's place. We're all there and stories are being re-told for the 400th time and still being laughed over. 'Didi' has brought my nimboo-pani. Can't beat her nimboo-pani. And of course, uncle is always calling - "Srijaaaan...." "yes babaaaaaa". They sound like bleating goats - but it's mustic to my ears. Aunty is worried about Srijan - so whats new Vineeta Aunty? You're little Sadhoo is doing just fine.

The bamboo sticks on Surdy's new Iron gate - built when he got Rambo. Late-night visits to his guesthouse became a rarity while that f-in beast prowled at night. Mickey is taking Vandon's case - as always. That kid is brilliant. We're making prank calls to Kabadi - poor kabadi. We're watching Football on Surdy's Aiwa TV and drinking Kingfisher straight out of the bottle. We're playing football in the park in front of his house. We're... ok ok... I'M... throwing stones at the neighbors Fiat and breaking its windshield. FUCK! RUN! We're running through the neighborhood ringing disgruntled Japanese residents' bells from the gate. We're coming home to our Mums who've already gotten the phone calls. We're in it now.

Anahat has transparent shorts on. (sigh). Lodi gardens and Child's play - enough said.

We're in London, UK - Patts, Joy, Surdy and I. We're crying... well pattu was too shell-shocked to cry. Thats right - we all cried. Don't say it. Shut the f*ck up.

We're in Goa. We just beat up a transvestite, fought pretend cops and watched a 35-yr. old woman breast-feed her baby at a rave. We just slept through New Years eve. wow.

We're in 4th class (we're like 9 yrs old). We've just fortified D-base with traps so no one can come in. I can't remember if I was Michaelangelo or Donatello. I drop a wooden log bigger than us on Joytan's head (he still thinks it was a mistake).

We're just driven to Sariska- Adi almost smashed the car into a tractor - but we're here now. Beautiful place. Shaggy's at my window screaming at Joy, Arjun and I - "YOU CAN'T FEED THE MONKEYS!!! THEY'LL DIEEEEEE!!!!" Arjun and I are about to slap her.

We're in a car driving at night in Delhi... we're drunk. Karan has just told a midget driver who we're getting into a fight with - "bhaisaab pleaaaseee!... NO!"... later on - his explanation was "dude... vo doh the" (There were two them).... The four of us just look at each other - no words.

I've met this girl online. 10 years later - she's still my rock.

I've just met this arrogant bastard going down a stairwell. He's recognized that I'm singing "Just Friends" - Musiq Soul Child. I love him. I meet 3 other people through him - and we just signed "chautha sikka" on a guitar. Fuzon has rocked it.

I'm in my room writing a blog about my fondest memories at 1:00 am.

I will die with these people in my heart. Hearts and thoughts they fade... fade away. I don't think so.

19 comments:

AD said...

"Checked your hands and studied the lines...seems that needlessly it's getting harder to find an approach and a way to live"

Tutto Cambia.

- Arun

Rohan said...

Man, I really enjoyed reading that post. The insight into your life... it's the reason I read blogs.

Last week when I saw Superman Returns, I was very aware of the fact that the last time I saw Superman on screen was at your place, on your birthday (10th?!), all those years ago. I came to your house and you convinced my mom to let me stay (after all, it was our birthday... PLEEEEEASE!)... and how I never did get to see the end.

You know, I never did get to see the end of that film, ever.

- Aye Davanita said...

haha... I remember that. That was 15 years ago. I had Jaws, Superman, Transformers... Star Wars. Signs of a very lucky childhood.

I had forgotten about my birthday parties. Damn... Raghav Bhalla ate all the Gems off my cake one birthday... poured Gold Spot into my fish tank and scrubbed my goldfish with soap in the sink before throwing it back in. None of the aquatic life in my house survived after Raghav's attack.

Haha! - musical chairs in the backyard - rides on my brother's scooter - don't know if Joy and Surd would remember that. And BRUNO! My cousin's labrador... we used him to scare off some locals who were bullying us.

damn... jeez... we were like 10 years old back then - i remember this.

Anonymous said...

miss those days too bro... never miss to glance at THE apt 4c window driving down the 2nd ave and remembering all those crazy times, especially you going nuts after only a puff off, you know what... lol :)

i miss that arrogant bastard too, wish to back into time but, life is such and it goes on...cant wait till Jan when all the sikke will be in the same pocket again...

- Deep

- Aye Davanita said...

Unfortunately no - Srijan's mum never taught me. Though she did teach Nikhil (elder bro.) - he remembers her fondly.

Anonymous said...

Toh mere bhai mein aaj hindustan mein baith ke tumko yeh kahuga ke "Yeh jo desh hai tere Swades hai tere "

Nice very well written a journey through your higher state of your neournal impulse's , your firing synaptic membrane and all the other medical Shit i can Say right !!!

Let's not talk about the Teeth Shall we !!! OR the injections I like to "THOKO"..

I am just going to call ur ass !!

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog sent me through a flash back as well! And mind you I never fail to glance at Arun's window as i pass it.
As for the arogant bastard...i do miss him as well, hope one day comes around and he is having a beer with us saying, "Man I was an Arogant bastard!" ;)
CHAUTHA SIKKA

Anonymous said...

By the way you bastard you never mentioned my name even once!!!!! "You shall rue this day...go on start rueing!"

Anonymous said...

Sweet bruddah... real sweet. S'pose tis high time we converged and cranked up on the ol' monk, guitar's/piano's and made some more musical moments to last us the next 25 years.

Good stuff baybee...
J.

Still Searching said...

Such vivid memories of the past (both good and bad).. we all remember in such details the good times (and esp the bad times!) of our lives, that it seems like it happened yesterday! They say one should let go of our past and have no attachments to it.. but what is life if it isn't a string of memories, moments that you put together to form coherent picture.. what's the point of experiencing something if u were to forget it later..?!

Hmmm.. my two-bit thoughts, though we are all strangers to each other..

- Aye Davanita said...

@ Arun - "...are we gettin' something out of this... all encompassing life"

@ J - no doubt the ol' Monk will feature when we "converge" next. Lets hope the Surd is around this time.

@ Tiru - why should there be a reason for names, when your influence is embossed across my heart (wow)

@ Sukhi - its not my fault... Arun's friggin' dry fruit was bloody potent!! heh heh..

@ Ruchika - thats why I've always said - never forget the past, always carry that burden as a ton of bricks, with which you'll use to build your future stairway to heaven.

DrBunghole said...

Hi aman,

read your blog and it is very warm, straight from the heart.

what are u upto these days?

tc
Nikhil Mital

- Aye Davanita said...

Bunny Mital? Am I wrong?

Whats up dude!?

E-mail me at aman.bahel@gmail.com

Anahat said...

haha.. my mom's linen will never recover from our "tents"... joy and his crazy ideas.. i still remember .. haily admittedly.. the first "night spend" we did in the 4th was it?? the four of us... and bawas "taekyondo" at the back benchs of class.. and me whinin cause of your black eye... and d base.. who was splinter?

*sigh

bittersweet symphony thats life...

Anahat said...

ohhh... almost forgot my man...

"its time to say goodbye to princ abuabu"....

- Aye Davanita said...

hahaha! ...its time to say goodbye... to prince a-boo-boo... ahahaha... i still crack up over that shit...

Anonymous said...

my first visit to ur blog and what a post :)

Great time reading it...will be back!

Anonymous said...

Well I know somebody else who calls for "shotgun" and believe it or not you let that person win and sat on the backseat in the mists of Delhi;)...

Reminds me of some Eagles...
"In a New York Minute - Everything Can Change"

Well written (As Always)

God Bless all...

- Aye Davanita said...

@chandni - I'm glad you enjoyed it.

@anonymous - I know who you are. And yes, it was the one time I surrendered my spot. I don't think it'll happen again :-)